Soft29.com : Internet : Communications
LanToucher Instant Messenger
instant messaging software for your corporate or home network.
LanToucher Instant Messenger is an easy-to-use and cost-effective communication solution for your internal network. With LanToucher IM your local network users will be able to exchange instant messages, see the presence of their favorite contacts in the contacts list, send instant messages to selected users and preset groups.
Designed as a "net send" and WinPopup replacement, LanToucher Instant Messenger provides compatibility with Microsoft WinPopup (Windows 95/98/ME), Messenger service / 'net send' (Windows NT4/2000/XP/Server 2003) and Samba client (Unix/Linux). LanToucher Instant Messenger takes up minimal memory and network resources. Since LanToucher Instant Messenger can run in the background or your system tray while you work with other programs, it is not always in your face or covering them. The message window pops up when someone sends you a message, then you can read the message, reply to it and hit ENTER, or minimize the program and let it stay in the system tray. You can always restore the program by clicking the tray icon or pressing the CTRL+` keys at the same time. This will give you a better view of your contact list and other useful options. This is a very handy feature for multitaskers whose screens are cluttered with applications. Newer messages are placed in the bottom of the message history box of LanToucher Instant Messenger while the old ones go up. This is a great feature as it allows you to keep track of what has been said.
- Proven cross-platform compatibility LanToucher Instant Messenger is fully compatible with Messenger service / 'net send' (Windows NT/2000/XP/Server 2003), WinPopup messenger (Windows 3.x/95/98/Me), Samba smbclient (Unix/Linux) and a broad range of compatible instant messengers based on the standard SMB/CIFS protocol.
- All 32-bit Windows versions support LanToucher Instant Messenger supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista operating systems.
- Low memory and network bandwidth usage Unlike most fancy messaging applications, LanToucher Instant Messenger needs less than 8 megabytes of RAM and generates minimal network traffic.
- True peer-to-peer (serverless) connectivity LanToucher Instant Messenger does not require a dedicated messaging server, so users can communicate directly with one another.
- LAN-only messaging without file transfer ability LanToucher Instant Messenger does not require an Internet connection to operate and does not provide a file transfer option. Therefore it is absolutely immune to hacker attacks, viruses, and other security threats inherent to Internet messengers.
- Multiprotocol support LanToucher Instant Messenger works perfectly over any available network transport protocol (TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, or NetBEUI).
- Terminal Services/Remote Desktop support LanToucher Instant Messenger is compatible with TS and RDP allowing multiple Terminal Server users/Remote Desktop users to contact each other and other network users freely.
- Feature-rich user interface While the default options should work fine for most users, LanToucher Instant Messenger offers you dozens of various options you may want to adjust to suit your particular needs.
- Contact List (ActiveList) It is pretty easy to add, remove your contacts, see whether a person is online or not, send messages to multiple contacts at once, or optionally ignore computers not in your ActiveList. From the ActiveList menu you can easily customize your contacts' settings such as picture/portrait, sounds, message font color and other contact-specific settings.
- Advanced sound and visual notification With the original LanToucher sound notification scheme in conjunction with visual notification you will never miss your important messages and other vital events.
- User Macros and Status Messages Instantaneous access to your predefined message templates and status/away messages by a hot key or two mouse clicks.
- Automatic Message Forwarding This enables you to automatically forward all incoming messages to another user or computer on your network when you are away from your computer.
- Advanced Messenger service support (Windows NT4/2000/XP/Server 2003) This feature fully controls the state of the Messenger service. Unlike other compatible instant messengers for intranets, LanToucher Instant Messenger pauses the service at startup, and restarts it on exit so that you could still receive messages using the Messenger service before logging on, after logging off, and while at the Welcome screen (Windows XP and Windows Vista).
- Microsoft Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/ME/XP/Server 2003/Vista
- K6™ or Pentium Processor
- 16 MB RAM (32 MB recommended)
- 6 MB hard drive space
- Network interface card connected to a Local Area Network
- Another computer running LanToucher; WinPopup-compatible mailer; Messenger service / 'net send' (Windows NT4/2000/XP/Server 2003); Samba client (Unix/Linux)
- DirectSound-compatible sound card recommended